This complex is the supreme work of Danish rococo architecture and can hold a candle to the best of them abroad. Nicolai Eigtved was the architect, and the complex was in-augurated in 1754.
The four identical palaces radiate a natural elegance and reserved refinement, and together they defi ne the palace square as a precise, airy and exclusive urban space with its centre in Saly’s equestrian statue of Frederik V from 1768.Since 2002 Erik Møller Arkitekter have been working on the listed complex. The work is being executed on the basis of an analysis of the complex’s fundamental preservation values, which are rooted in the hierarchical layout of the complex and grounds as a whole, allocated between palaces, pavilions, communicating buildings and annexes. Restoration of the wings includes foundation work on all supporting walls, replastering of facades, refurbishment of doors and win-dows, and replacement of roofs.
The exterior restoration of Frederik VIII’s Palace includes replastering of facades, repairs to sandstone facades, consolidation of balu-strade walls and substitution of roofs. In addition, extensive rot and fungal damage in the joisting and roof structures is being repaired. Refurbishment of windows includes three palaces as well as parts of the wings. The windows have been totally refurbished, and for this large-scale work a special window workshop has been set up in the palace grounds. All frames are dipped in gently heated linseed oil, fettled, repaired by a joiner and painted with linseed oil.